9/23/09

RICK TAKES A ROAD TRIP

DAY ONE- SEPTEMBER 23RD
i left LA this morning @ 5am... i drove ALL day.. covered allot of territory- breakfast @ grandma's in banning, CA. i purposely wore my white indian sari & white pants, (my yoga outfit) i thought i would give the bible-thumpers a little fear. i'm sure they think i'm muslim. every time i stop for gas @ those generic all-in-one mini malls. i get stares. people are overly polite to me to over compensate for their discomfort. it feels good.

Arizona- stopped @ stout's cider mill in willcox... a great little place where they grow their own apples and make apple pies!.
i had a slice of dutch apple with tea for teatime. the owner- ron- is fascinated with me. because of my white outfit he thinks i work for a hospital. he's so enamored he undercharges me.
i travel across CA- AZ & NM all in one day..it was amazing. it was cathartic.

it is now 8pm and i am in silver city, NM, (founded in 1870!) i love things 100 years and older.

my grandfather was a miner here. actually he was a young boy and worked as a translator for the mexican workers- none who spoke english. he'd lived in NM since he was 2 years old, so he was the rare bilingual. back then mexicans, indians & asians were forbidden to work in the mines underground. the powers that be didn't want them to stake any claim on the precious metals. that was only reserved for caucasians.
my grandfather met my grandmother here around 1918. they had 2 children here. both died soon after birth.

i had dinner @ a cute little mexican restaurant on main street. as i waited for my food, these two, very fat -"good ol boys chatted about how obama was ruining america, how illegals were getting compensated for not having abortions, how everyone, (non-whites) were ripping off america. BUT these guys feel safe because they have their guns... they were listing all the firearm they have. as i listened to them i thought about my grandfather who worked here about 100 years ago, how he slaved for pennies so these stupid men could sit here in a mexican restaurant and trash other cultures.. i thought to myself, your guns will not keep you safe.. you will succumb to your own gluttony~ you whales disguised as men.

i took my dinner to go. i am staying @ the palace hotel, built in 1882! i am alone.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rick, I didn't have an idea that you left Hollywood. Knowing that you are not there makes the place different.

    Enjoy the trip and I am looking forward to many stories when you are back...

    Take care,

    v.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so interesting to learm about your grandparents. pretty special to be a translator at that time i bet. i love road trips.

    ReplyDelete