1/30/11

THNGS TO COME


this is only the begining...

Jessica Elsayed, a 17-year-old Youth Journalism International senior reporter and student from Alexandria, Egypt, has posted an article about her experience amidst the protests.

Elsayed reports:

I can hear booms outside from tear gas canisters exploding. The police station next door caught fire last night. As part of a new people’s militia, men from my building are guarding us with wooden sticks or knives. One neighbor has two swords. The butcher down the street sharpened knives and handed them out, not out of violence but for protection. Looters are not welcome in my neighborhood. Elsewhere in the city, they’ve pillaged a big mall, driven off with new BMWs and attacked many jewelry stores by shattering windows and grabbing all they can. It’s pretty intense. Those who are doing the looting and setting the fires are from the police, something they’re not saying on television but everyone knows it. It’s really distressing. The government blames protesters but everyone knows who’s really doing it. I’m not scared because I trust the men in my building and I trust my neighbors. It’s very brave of them to stand guard.
No one sleeps as we watch the televised images of the revolution going on throughout Egypt, including my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment